Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Max Effort Squat Day

Its been several weeks since I've been under heavy weight.  Even then that was with a regular bar and for multiple sets of 4 reps, not max singles. So, today's plan was work up to a max single with the Safety Squat Yoke Bar.  If some of you are wondering why I use this bar its because it forces you to stay up right due to the fact it wants to pull you forward.  Basically its the same as performing front squats, but no stress on your wrist. 

The point of doing max effort work is to start with 3 reps and work your way up to 1 single max rep.  If your head doesn't feel like its goin to explode your not doing it right. Max effort work helps you figure out your sticking/weak points as well.  When you reach that last rep were you begin to fail, you can look at the lift and figure out caused you to fail.  At what point in the lift did your form break down.  Once you know this you know what your supplemental and accessory work needs to focus on.  I worked up to 475 for my single rep, the worked that followed focused on my posterior chain and low back.  I made the lift with good strength in my legs, but I wasn't very stable/strong in my center.

1) SSB
   1x10 bar
     x8   105
     x5   155
     x5   205
     x3   245
     x3   295
     x3   315
     x3   335
     x3   385
     x3   405
     x3   425  put knee wraps on here.
     x1   475  should've made smaller jumps after 425 to get more single reps in, but baby boy was with me and getting restless.

2) RDL
   3x12   225

3) SSB Good Mornings
   5x10   135
    

No comments: